Monday, November 07, 2005

On the other side.

So, I went to see Shopgirl which was excellent, of course and even exceeded my own expectations. One of the most pleasantly surprising things about it though, was an appearance by Mark Kozelek as a minor charachter in the film and the usage of Sun Kil Moon's (his) music. It's a worth a view if only to see him perform "Lily & Parrots" live. For some strange reason there doesn't appear to be an official soundtrack out, though.

Aside from movie-going, I've spent the last day and a half obsessively reading Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods. Having never read any sort of travel non-fiction before I wasn't sure what to expect, but he has a great narrative style that any reader can take to. It almost makes me want to get out and really hike, but I'm terrified of (real, live) bears.

Some other books that I picked up this weekend included :
Caucasia, (Danny Senza)
Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting by in America, Barbara Ehrenreich
Disgrace, JM Coetzee
One Hundred Years of Solitude, Gabriel Garcia Marquez

And some books I want to read (this is mostly for my own future reference):
Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife, Mary Roach
The Year of Magical Thinking, Joan Didon
A Million Little Pieces, James Frey

My New Year's resolution was to read 52 books this year, but I'm probably not going to make it that far.

What have you been reading lately?

Comments:
Lori's reading Nickle and dimed; says it's amazing - addictive. I'm waiting till she's done so that I can snarf it from her.

I haven't read anything since Barney's Crew by Sean Carswell. Short stories, slow at first but remarkable observant later on in the book. I quite enjoyed it - except for the cover art.

http://www.razorcake.com/gorskypress/critics.htm#BC
 
Lori's reading Nickle and dimed; says it's amazing - addictive. I'm waiting till she's done so that I can snarf it from her.

I haven't read anything since Barney's Crew by Sean Carswell. Short stories, slow at first but remarkable observant later on in the book. I quite enjoyed it - except for the cover art.

http://www.razorcake.com/gorskypress/critics.htm#BC
 
'Nickle and Dimed' was supposed to come today but I think I missed the postman. I've also threatened to read 'Freakonomics' for about 6 months but haven't of course.

The others: 'Julius Ceasar', 'Measure for Measure', Lu Hsun - 'Selected Stories', Naryan - 'Malgudi Days' are all excellent, but they're required reading for me right now, so I guess that doesn't count.

-John
 
bill bryson is pretty cool! i enjoyed "notes from a big country" and am currently reading his "notes from a small island". he does have a great narrative style! it's almost like having a close friend bantering with you when you read his books.

-mags
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?