Thursday, May 12, 2005

I don't know anymore.

The wonderful Richard Russo novel Empire Falls has been made into a movie mini-series and will air on HBO on the 28th and the 29th of this month, for those of you interested.

And, on the subject of books, I seem to be running out of interesting ones to read. My recommendations list is pretty much empty. Toss me a recommendation (or two, or five), please?

I've yet to write anything substantial about last week's trip. It was fun and terrifying (in parts) and emotionally volatile, but well worth it and I can't wait to go back. I've finally figured out that I am not a flat-lander, nor am ever likely to adjust well to being one. I like hills and mountains and prefer their oxygen over the salty damp one that comes off the Atlantic.

My time lately has been divided between reading and watching movies. Of note: A Love Song for Bobby Long, The Woodsman, Hotel Rwanda and The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou.

Music: Thalia Zedek, "Bone"

Comments:
Read the following:
Tom Robbins' Still Life with Woodpecker
Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist
Ernest Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises
Graham Greene's The End of the Affair
Banana Yoshimoto's NP
 
Thanks for the information regarding 'Empire Falls'. I knew it was being made into a movie/series but didn't think it'd be out so soon. Hopefully I can download it somewhere.

I just finished 'Mohawk' (Richard Russo, actually), which was good, but probably my least favourite. Reading 'Middlesex' now, and enjoying it.

Dan Chaon's "You Remind Me of Me" was good too.

These askme threads might be useful too:

1

2
 
Based on your 'I like hills and mountains...' also brings to mind Bill Bryson's "A Walk In The Woods", which chronicles his journey along the Appalacian trail. His sense of humour is a little dry, and probably not for everyone, but he's one of the only authors who can consistently make me laugh out loud.
 
'Life of Pi' by Yann Martel - Zoology, religion and being lost at sea.

John
 
e - thanks so much for the thoughtful recommendations. With the exception of the Robbins books, I haven't read any of the ones that you've suggested. I picked up The Alchemist today at the used book shop.

kyle - Mohawk is actually the only Russo novel that I haven't read--I now know to avoid it. I read Middlesex when it was first published, it's a great book... I enjoyed it more than the Virgin Suicides. I'll check out the Chaon book, and thanks very much for directing me towards the metafiller threads.

John -- I read Life of Pi last year. It was a very fascinating and absorbing read, which I would like to reread at some point.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?