Monday, January 03, 2005

Books read, 2004.

Just because I keep track of little things.

* indicates favourites/recommended reads
+ indicates that this was a reread

The Corrections, Jonathan Franzen *
Songbook, Nick Hornby *
Enduring Love, Ian McEwan *
Sellevision, Augusten Burroughs
Geek Love, Katherine Dunn
The Fourth Hand, John Irving
Why Girls Are Weird, Pamela Ribon
Everything is Illuminated, Jonathan Safran Foer
Ecstasy, Irvine Welsh *
The Sopranos, Alan Warner *
The Joy Luck Club, Amy Tan *
House of Sand and Fog, Andre Dubus III *
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time, Mark Haddon *
Sputnik Sweetheart, Haruki Murakami
Life of Pi, Yann Martel *
The Whore’s Child, Richard Russo
The Risk Pool, Richard Russo
Cavedweller, Dorothy Allison
The Hotel New Hampshire, John Irving
The Rachel Papers, Martin Amis
Girl with a pearl earring, Tracy Chevalier
Good in bed, Jennifer Weiner
Deliverance, James Dicky
Glamorama, Bret Easton Ellis
The Orchid Thief, Susan Orlean
You Shall Know Our Velocity!, Dave Eggers *
Love in The Time of Cholera, Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Icy Sparks, Gwyn Hyman Rubio
Lady Oracle, Margaret Atwood
Hey Nostradamus!, Douglas Coupland *
You Have to be Careful In the Land of the Free, James Kelman
The Fortress of Solitude, Jonathan Lethem *
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, Carson McCullers *
South of the Border, West of the Sun, Haruki Murakami
Here on Earth, Alice Hoffman
The Metamorphisis, Franz Kafka
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, Haruki Murakami *
Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human cadavers, Mary Roach *
The Perks of Being A Wallflower, Stephen Chbosky +
Another Bullshit Night In Suck City: A Memoir, Nick Flynn *
The Five People You Meet In Heaven, Mitch Albom
Tuesdays With Morrie, Mitch Albom
Perv–A Love Story, Jerry Stahl
The Sweet Hereafter, Russell Banks

Comments:
Any favourites? I was thinking of doing the lhb thing and reading a book a week. Right now I probably read about three a month, so it wouldn't be a major increase, but there's a lot out there I would like to read.
 
I edited the post to indicate my favourites. If you break down the numbers from last year, I think I did read about a book a week. I only hope I can do as well this year.

As much as I do read, I constantly feel inadequate and like I'm not well read enough. There are just too many must-reads and classics for me to trudge through in this lifetime.
 
I feel like that all of the time - it's particulary embarrassing feeling that you're not very well-read at all when you're an English doctoral student, I can tell you...

Despite stepping up my reading-for-pleasure last year, I still read nothing like the number of books I'd have liked. It always seems I read two or three books then go out and buy another four or five...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?