Tuesday, October 19, 2004

I'm stuck here waiting for a passing feeling.

Tonight I feel trapped by the lack of possibility here--this town is coming like a ghost town and I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone could possibly be happy in a cultureless void. If it weren't for the ocean, I might as well be in Kansas. Everything's so expensive, you can't even get a cup of coffee for a dollar. I know it's not like this everywhere, even the stores & restaurants in Saratoga were cheaper, and so much more interesting. I've excavated everything and I'm left with nothing but my bird feeder, my falling down house and miles of parking lots to keep me occupied. It's not supposed to be like this, it's not like this everywhere, but already other places seem like things I encountered in dreams. I don't know what I need anymore, but it's not this. The pitfalls of adulthood! I cannot express my frustration fully. If it weren't for music & love, I'd really be nowhere.

I am listening to the new Elliott Smith album and more and more I am beginning to understand (even though I won't ever, fully).

Music: Elliott Smith, "A Passing Feeling"

Comments:
There's this little coffee shop beside me that still has coffees at $1.

I live at that place.
 
"... miles of parking lots to keep me occupied."You are describing a living nightmare.

How much of an effort would it be, I wonder, to introduce culture into this barren cityscape? Is there a 2nd-hand bookstore nearby where you could bring the written or spoken word - organize soirees...? At the music store is there a niche where you could showcase a selection of the most important indie records? What benefits would you yourself reap by spending a little time with people - talking about things you love?

sorry.. just thinking out loud.

~stan
 
S. ran an open mic here for about a year and a half, where we tried to bring some culture...but it didn't work out. The people would rather spend time in the back parking lot smoking pot than actually listen to something unique or original. It's hard to explain what it's like here to someone whom I assume has never been here. People's values are different--suburban cliches (SUVs, kids, shopping malls) rule while real culture falls by the wayside.

But I do appreciate your input, I really do. I'm just venting here, and I'm glad someone's listening. You're lucky to be somewhere as culturally diverse as Montreal. :)
 
As I know I've mentioned, Kir has family in East Hampton and we have friends that live up island as well. A lot of them tend to be of the townie mentality that you are describing. They hate the "citidiots", they smoke up and drink like crazy, they go to SUNY's, drive SUV's, enjoy a good trip to Riverhead for ... whatever. I loved the area, but I wasn't so keen on the people (normal or rich).

So I guess the only thing I could suggest is more trips to the City ($11 each way for a ten pack), the MET is but a few bucks and is always lovely, the park is free, so is wandering around in the village. Food is cheap if you know where to look (Time Out New York has a great issue about this right now), and there's usually poetry readings, open mics or free music for price of coffee or beer. There's always late trains up island on the weekends, so you and S. could make a long day of it instead of dropping a load on a hotel.

Anyway, just a suggestion ... I hope something works out for you.
 
I don't know where you are in relation to this, but if you're close enough you could always tag-team with the http://www.nomediakings.net/

or....

Create a buzz with
parking lot art
parking lot poetry.
street-chalk me up for another road haiku.
then click and it's on the web.

hmmm...


~stan
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?